. world board sport news : Timo Kapl produces upset victory at Red Bull Wake Capital - 08 August 2021 - 17:44
Austrian wakeboarder wows the judges with flawless run in Hamburg
WAKEBOARDING. Timo Kapl was the surprise winner of Red Bull Wake Capital as the world’s best wakeboarders descended on Hamburg, Germany, to tackle a hugely challenging course in the shadow of the iconic Elbphilharmonie concert hall. Here is all you need to know:
- Held in Hamburg's Sandtorhafen harbour, Red Bull Wake Capital saw 16 competitors take on a spectacular course complete with shipping containers, industrial pipes and excavators.
- Each of the world-class wakeboarders would attempt to impress the judges by performing a series of tricks and kicks along the 240-metre track, which featured nine obstacles.
- Austria’s Kapl would emerge victorious thanks to a memorable performance in his second Superfinals run that included a Backside 450 onto the drop-down rail right out of the gate.
- This was enough to earn 86.66 points from the judges and take first place ahead of the pre-event favourites, with Thailand’s Daniel Grant (84.66) claiming second and American rider Guenther Oka (81.00) finishing in third.
- Kapl, 24, said: “I gave it my all and put in the run of my life. I’m super happy to have won here. I had a very bad injury two years ago and didn’t know if I could come back again – and now this.”
- After finishing in second, Grant said: “The track here in Hamburg is totally unique. When I saw it for the first time, I was really overwhelmed by what kind of set-up was built here. We all had a lot of respect, but we were able to adjust well to the conditions during the two days of training and had a lot of fun today.”
Sunday, August 08, 2021
Powered by [xt] , PHP & MySQL